5.03.2010

Hannah's Family Book

Hello All!

A while back I had mentioned that I was going to make the Diva a Family Book to take with her when she has surgery. I had intended to make a tutorial for the book, but I can’t find the photos I took while I was making it. All I seem to have are the photos I took today of the finished book. Hmmm…if I find them, I’ll be sure to make a tutorial.

So, my sewing skills…oh, my sewing skills. Needless to say, they aren’t very good. But, I trudged through this project, since I knew it would mean a lot to the Diva. While doing this, I kept thinking, “there must be 100 easier ways to do this” but, the end product is all that matters, right??

Included in the book are the Diva's Grandparents, Great-Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and of course...her kitties. 

She picked out the fabric...purple of course!  And she helped decide which decorative buttons, etc we used on each page.  I used batting in between the pages so they are slightly stuffed, and I printed the photos on printable fabric. 




I then trimmed them out with ribbon (and learned the hard way that a glue gun will ALWAYS do a better job than the iron on bond stuff), and stitched the pages all together.  I used a piece of scrap ribbon and velcro to make a fastener to keep the book closed.
Like I said before, I am sure that there are 100 different ways that this book could have been done, but I am happy with the end result.  The Diva loves it too. 


My reasoning behind making the book is that only one set of Grandparents is going to make it up for Hannah's surgery.  The rest of the family lives 3000 miles away, so I thought I would try to find a way to bring the family here to be with her when she is recovering. 

Hannah loves to talk about her family, and I am hoping that if she gets nudgy or overwhelmed by all of the nurses and doctors around her, that she not only knows that her family is there with her, but it also gives her something to talk to all of the "strangers" about. 

I had originally looked into getting a small photo album instead, but with the softness of this book, she can snuggle with it and we don't have to worry about it bumping her when she is sleeping. 

I will keep looking for the photos of the step-by-step process I used...in the meantime, if you have any questions about how I made it, just ask!!

By the way, I am linking up this project to these sites:



DIY Day @ ASPTL
Creations by Kara

Cheers!
Sharon

2 comments:

Karla said...

Sharon, What a beautiful keepsake book you made for Hannah. I am sure she will treasure it forever!

Best wishes to all of you during/after Hannah's surgery. Stay strong Momma!

Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! Love it. Hannah has superb taste in fabric! x